Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Two men in my life.



"Yeh toh mere do bĂȘte hai", he used to say translated roughly as 'They are my two sons. They do nothing less than what a son would do'.

~~~

It was a couple of years ago. I was driving you and Ajji to some place. And then I hit a person on the road. He was drunk and badly hurt. It was my mistake too, I didn't notice him and didn't stop in time. I remember how we hurriedly got out of the car when people started gathering, how you said  you were driving and were sorry for what happened, and how you held me close. I think every father would have done the same, but what really touched me was you never blamed me for what happened. You were all the time concerned about what I must be going through having run over somebody.

Only a person like you could do it.

~~~

We were parting ways, in NY. The realization that this anticipated moment was NOW, left a few moist eyes. A huge parade of 10000 LGBTs was passing, celebrating a law that was passed. The pandemonium stifled a few sobs and drowned words of encouragement. I stood there watching, not knowing what to do or say, as we said our goodbyes, when you opened your wallet and thrust a Macy's gift card in her hands. How do you know to pull the right strings?

~~~

How can you be so selfless sometimes ? I remember how we used to come home tired, from office, after a long day. I also remember how you taught her Java, scolded her, made her cry, pushed her to study harder, made it your goal to prepare her for interviews and how you worked relentlessly along with her into late tired nights. It amazed me, how you did what I didn't even think of doing. How you treat my family as your own. How you leave no stone unturned to do some good.



Some actions leave a deep mark in our hearts. You may fail to realize them in that moment, but if you ever look back, you will be surprised by the magnanimity of it. Blessed we are to be around such people.
 

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yes, aunty. I would never want to forget them.

      Delete
  2. Beta! As you have rightly said, every father would do the same! Nothing extraordinary about it. Well as regards the other man in your life, well he truly did an amazing deed and relieved me greatly and showed her what she is capable of. Hat's off to him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Baba! Yes, every father must have done it. But the 'not saying a word to me' part, I doubt. Thanks for reading Baba! Blessed to have you two in my life.

      Delete
    2. Deservedly so! Hope I have used the
      Right word.

      Delete
    3. Deservedly so! Hope I have used the
      Right word.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...